Saturday, October 23, 2010

The canopy bed







Canopy bed is a decorative bed somewhat similar to a four-poster bed.  A typical canopy bed usually features posts at each of the four corners extending four feet high or more above the mattress.  Ornate or decorative fabric is often draped across the upper space between the posts and a solid swath of cloth may create a ceiling, or canopy directly over the bed.
The canopy beds generally fit into one of two categories: traditional or contemporary.Most of the traditional canopy beds will have a Victorian aesthetic, with either metal rod frames or intricately carved wood frames and posts.In contrast,contemporary canopy beds generally employ a cleaner,simpler design.Wood,metal, or a combination of the two is used in the construction of modern canopy beds, which usually have little to no detail on the foot and headboards and often feature sharp, geometric designs.

5 comments:

  1. I love the draping on the first bed! And the ceiling detail is fantastic, I'm a bit obsessed with stripes, they're all over my blog.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You created a great post with excellent information, i learnt a lot of stuff from this article.

    storage beds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can I purchase the last one? (white canopy bed) Please email me if you know! XOKAYLANGEL@AOL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also looking to purchase the last bed. I managed to track it down to Shabby Chic in NY, but all they have is a king size for $2900. The bed has been discontinued. There has to be a maker still producing this style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I actually have the last bed in Queen that I am open to selling. It was purchased in 2010 directly from Shabby Chic. It has been used in a guest bedroom and not slept in very often. I am pregnant now and turning that spare room into a nursery. I LOVE the bed but it won't work elsewhere in our home. Let me know if you are interested! My email is maryelizabethwalsh@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete